Wednesday, March 10, 2010

μαρτύριον (or, God at the Mail Boxes)

(martyrion - witness)


it's hard to blog with the twilight zone going on in the background.  it's an episode about a married couple who, in their old age, decided to trade their bodies in for younger bodies in their 20's but only had enough money for one of them to go through with the procedure.  snap.


this is story number 2 of two stories.  story one I haven't told yet.

today was rather interesting.  it wasn't bad, not at all.  a coupled of interesting encounters, today.  see, I was reluctant.... reluctant to go down to the mail box, today.  I'd just gotten home, and it wasn't a bad dad at all.  in fact I spent my time at work and after work rather well - and I think it was spent well because I was realizing just how much I hadn't owned the time at all.  my boss was stressed, things were backwards, I missed breakfast. at one point, honestly, in my barely conscience mind I some how decided to put off the flesh and take hold of the eternal life that was given to me.  take hold of it, and fight.

'But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.'
1st timothy 6:11-12

and the day moved on.  and amidst the days struggles, the Lord was gracious, and there were a few gracious encounters whereas God probably lead this poor redeemed soul in triumphal procession in Christ. 

I sucked, and God was awesome.


But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere.
1 corinthians 2:14


but honestly, getting back to where we started (you and me, reader) - I was reluctant to go downstairs, to check my mail.  because I knew.  I knew if I went down there, there'd be someone waiting.  there'd be someone that I didn't know.  and I knew if I went down there I would be propelled into a situation where I'd have to testify - because everything, EVERYTHING about today was leading up to one point where I had to decide whether I was going to go about my business or if I was going to go check the mail.


and there I was, at the mail boxes.  and there he was, on a collision course with myself - one older man in his mid 50's and one younger man creeping up on his mid 20's who had never, until this point, even known the other had existed.  decades of history, decades of life, scores and scores of experiences, dots, dominoes, foot steps, little mice in a maze.  there we were.  there he was.  there i was.  there we stood, two men, there, with the mail.

"So you're religious?"

"Well, I'm a Christian"



we stood and talked for literally maybe an hour or more, and there was a lot that I learned about the man.  I had joy in hearing his stories, hearing about his life, hearing about how he got to where he was, hearing about how willing he was to reveal his own views, his beliefs, his convictions.

 it was cold out.  the wind hit the trees that loomed over the far end of the courtyard.  it sounded like... the ocean.

and it was cold.



"Whatever house you enter, first say, 'Peace be to this house!' 

"And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him. But if not, it will return to you.  And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house.  Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you.  

Heal the sick in it and say to them, 'The kingdom of God has come near to you.' "
luke 10:5-9


and there I was, on his couch now.  drinking juice.  talking.  looking at his books.  he took off his sweater, now, and his glasses.  we talked.  there was something that struck me about the moment... now seeing a man as particularly vulnerable.  as far as instances and matter of conversation, no - they weren't very revealing, not very personal.  but there was some love that I hadn't felt for the man until that point.  because there was an instance where I saw really behind what the man was saying.  there was a moment where I saw behind the what and began to see the why...  why he was telling me so much...

and it hurt at one point, on my end.  and I won't go in to it.  it was a strange hurt, because I hadn't meant to stop him in his tracks.  I really only meant to testify, to correct. 

and he listenned.


he gave us a plant - a small aloe plant, and I intend to visit with him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment